11/07/2007

načechrané obláčky and Flebb

Video thumbnail. Click to play
Video thumbnail. Click to play
Please let both videos load completely before watching them. načechrané obláčky and Flebb is the kick-of video for my new ‘one video a week’-project, that I am starting together with Extraboy. načechrané obláčky and Flebb is also a response to the Video Vortex conference I attended last month, in Brussels. In this conference Adrian Miles talked about YouTube, and all video distributing sites on the web. In his talk, Miles main issues were, as Michael described in a post one month ago:
“Where does an online video end - at what point is it ‘complete’? Are those limits imposed by technology or are they lingering clichés of narrative form (as opposed to Manovich’s ‘database’)? Can online video be imagined differently, outside the frames of cinema and TV?"
Miles wants to rethink video. According to him, online video distributing sites will only have a future if they make their content granular; tagging scenes and shots, linking between them and in so doing making it easy to remix content at the level of the smallest possible unit. He wants to open up a space that he calls soft video. Since blip (the video distribution site I use) or any other video distributing website doesn’t incorporate the options that make soft video possible, I wanted to try if there are other ways to get closer to at least some sense of granularity. načechrané obláčky and Flebb is my experiment. načechrané obláčky and Flebb is a music video consisting of two separate screens. One, (the upper) screen is linear and synced with the music. The second, lower screen is a random video that can be remixed or scratched by the viewer, using the timeline as a tagging system. načechrané obláčky and Flebb doesn’t realise Miles soft video. But it might be a start to think about options to get there.

1 comment:

kelsey said...

I totally love the Flebb video. Since I'm a visual jockey, I'd love to do a remix of it, given you grant me the permission, of course.

I'll watch your blog I think. :)

kelsey / wiredance from flickr