1/01/2012

/ 2011 < ! - - ALERT - - > 2012


I am not sure if I can translate 2011, full of ups and downs, highs and lows - personal, politically, professional:3ps.stress.. lows, lows, highs highs, dudu, lala, ...sleeplessness... but right now, from where I stand, it looks like most people sang some version of the 2011-torch songs anyway so I dont think I have to sing that song anymore... or... actually, I did already anyway.


After all, here is my stubborn, only positive, egocentric breakdown:
3 solo exhibitions (Order and ProgressThe Vernacular of File Formats and Collapse of PAL)
2 Months of Brasil, 1,5 months of Vienna, a little less then a month of US, 4 months of home, the rest at the side of knowhere,
My face on the cover of a catalogue, some dead-tree publications (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9)
The Collapse of PAL reviewed by Jussi Parikka
I won a "Best practice" award


Besides that, the things I made: I organized the Filtering Failure exhibition, together with Julian van Aalderen (which involved my own eurotrash beer!)
and did some collaborations: Glitch Art Spheres Organized with Esther Weltevrede,
Extrafile vs. Vernacular of File Formats feat. Kim Asendorf and a collaborative performance w. oa. Rafaël Rozendaal and Isan for NovaRojo Rio.
I released the open source software Monglot together with Johan Larsby
followed by a Floppy vacuum cleaner release "The Low Times of HI-FI" together with GOTO80
I Performed the Collapse of PAL Sao Paolo with Bernhard Fleischmann and Optical Machines
Organized the 24 hour no password party as part of the GLI.TC/H/BOTS
Laid the GLI.TC/H/4040404040404 Easteregg (with Jodi, jon.satrom and Nick Briz)
and released some videos: Torch Song epilogue (w/ Aron Birtalan), Into the Tulgey Woods, Dark Waters
And of course there was the back to back to back GLI.TC/H/Monster - oef that was a big one, it still hurts my bone!
An array of loose publications, interviews reviews, exhibitions, performances, artist talks and workshops. (1,2,../booh!, I dont know where to start and this would just be a boring list).
I also popped up in a couple of master thesis'.. thank you very much! But what does it matter, glitch art is still theoretically "disputed" - haha, more like: a grosly not accepted academic subject (more to come). KWK me.
This is why, finally, a dent in the teeth of that monster, or, my 2011 hit the wall with a bang: I am (co-)responsible for 2 physical glitch-art book publications that are also downloadable: copying/sharing is encouraged/appreciated!

Rosa Menkman, The Glitch Moment(um). Network Notebooks 04, Institute of Network Cultures, Amsterdam, 2011. ISBN: 978-90-816021-6-7.
GLI.TC/H READER[ROR] 20111 editors: Nick Briz, Evan Meaney, Rosa Menkman, William Robertson, Jon Satrom, Jessica Westbrook. Publisher: Unsorted Books, Japan. GLITCH@GLI.TC ISBN: 978-4-9905200-1-4. 11-11-11 / ? User Agreement: GLI.TC/H READER[ROR] 20111 is distributed under the "CopyRight" license

No comments: